The Old Connecticut Garden

The Old Connecticut Garden
The Owl and the Orchard

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Northern Exposure


Northern Exposure
March 28, 2011

Last week, when I thought it was spring, I yanked the straggly hydrangeas and ailing boxwoods from my front walk, leaving a lovely blank space, just begging for new plants.  My front walk is on the north side of the house.  This northern exposure means I’m going to have to find things that will thrive in deep shade.  As I often do when in need of inspiration (or just feeling nosy), I walked around the neighborhood to check out what is “going on” in other north side gardens.  It is admittedly a little early for most perennials, but this didn’t deter me. 

 Spiky Mahonia aquifolium
Determined to hunt down “plants of interest” (sniff), I walked several blocks before being stopped in my tracks by a plant that reminds me of my childhood in Seattle.   Oregon grape, (Mahonia aquifolium -- don’t you love Latin?) has been in bloom for weeks now, displaying clusters of yellow flowers in 2-3 inch racemes (flowers that bloom along a stem).  Mahonia is not for the faint-of-heart because of its off-putting spiky dark green leaves that turn purplish in winter.  I rather like its fierceness, and delight in memories of smearing its dark bluish purple berries on my little brother’s t-shirt as a child.  It is often used as a foundation plant and does best when protected from winter winds because as tough as those leathery leaves look, they are susceptible to desiccation. 

Chaenomeles flouting the cold
Encouraged, I soldiered on along the cold shady sidewalk when I was distracted by a glorious quince (Chaenomeles speciosa), in full bloom across the street.  By this time I was chilled and digressing to photograph this gorgeous Chinese native in full sun was irresistible.  Like many deciduous early bloomers, it begins blooming on bare, spiny twigs before its’ leaves appear.  Quince’s emergent leaves are tinged with a complimentary reddish-bronze color that softens into a dark green in summer but drop in autumn without changing color.  While it blooms best in full sun, I have seen it growing in dry light shade where it still blooms well.  Quince is used as a specimen, as espaliers, in mass plantings where fall and winter interest are unimportant, and mixed in borders where colors ranging from white to pink to salmon colors are wanted.  Its fruits are not remarkable but can be used in preserves, and its salt tolerance makes it an attractive alternative where road salt is problematic.
Surprise scilla tubergeniana

Back to the shady side of the street.   Tucking my collar up as the cold breeze reminded me that snow was due (honestly!), I trudged on and was delighted to discover bulbs blooming that I didn’t recognize.  It’s scilla tubergeniana or s. mischtschenkoana (why have one difficult Latin name when you can have two?), a sweet white six-petalled flower with the odd common name “White Squill”.  This Iranian native was introduced to the Netherlands (of course) in 1931 and like other scillas, tolerates shade. There’s a gorgeous photo on-line of white squill planted with snowdrops and white crocus so I will order lots when I get to the bulb planting stage in my new garden.   Yum.

A perfect daphne
Around the corner a fragrant winter daphne (daphne odora aureomarginata) was in full bloom in a very shady spot.  Its dark green leaves, edged in cream reminded me how dramatic variegated plants are in shade.  The great thing about variegated leaves is that they lend the verisimilitude of dappling light in dark areas just as they set off adjacent flowers or dark green leaves.  This species of daphne bears charming clusters of tiny pink flowers, which are as fragrant as any jasmine, especially in warmish sun.  I was pleased to see it in such good shape because although it is hardy to Zone 6, we have had some nasty cold spells this winter that might have damaged it.  I have always adored daphnes in spite of their temperamental disposition.  They are reputedly short-lived so, as Michael Dirr says, “Once planted, do not move, prune, or abuse in anyway”.   Sounds like some people I know!
Elegent Andromeda
Andromeda (pieris japonica) is also blooming around Georgetown.  I found several white-blooming shrubs in various sizes looking fresh and beautiful.  I grew them in Connecticut because of their deer resistance and early flowers, though I am not crazy about the varieties with bright red new growth.  That works best for me at a distance in a large garden, but depending on your preferences, it could also work in a smaller garden where red is appreciated.  There are pink cultivars that are absolutely delicious but perhaps more delicate than the rough and ready whites.  Andromeda’s susceptibility to lace bug requires them to be planted in shadier areas, and in small gardens, compact cultivars are better than larger ones which tend to become leggy. 
Straight from the Himalayas
I also came upon an old Himalayan friend, which works very well in borders or mass plantings.  Sweetbox (Sarcococca hookerana) is a low glossy leaved shrub with tiny cream-colored flowers in March and April that can be amazingly fragrant on a warm day.  I was introduced to it at Tudor Place where I remember its fragrance wafting up the back of the garden making me feel as though I’d walked into the tropics, a welcome rebuke to winter.  It did poorly for me in Connecticut but I may just try it again here for it’s glossy, pointed leaves and low dense structure.   
I could go on – there are epimediums, skimmias, euphorbias, even rosemary, and other wonderful plants starting to bloom around town – but will stop here.   I’m off to the nursery, now the snow is past.

No comments:

Post a Comment